Friday, March 11, 2016

Simple & Savory Red Enchilada Sauce

The other day I was doing my usually refrigerator inventory to see what needed to be used. We've been on a mission to make sure that we don't waste any food and so far it's being going really well. Food is entirely too expensive to waste and being conscious of what we have has prevented us from eating out or ordering take out (my postpartum waist line is thanking me for this). What I've been doing is taking stock of what we have and developing a meal from there...basically putting together all the odds and ends and making a meal of some sort. I had tons of ground beef, black beans and soft tortillas, but wasn't feeling the ordinary taco dinner. I've had a hankering for enchiladas, but definitely didn't want to leave the house with a willful, tired toddler and newborn so I decided to try my hand at my own enchilada sauce....

SO GOOD.

I'm never buying it pre-made again. Not only is it good, it's healthier, has simple ingredients (nothing questionable) and super easy to make.



Ingredients:

2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
2 Tbsp. flour
3 Tbsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. cumin powder
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. italian seasoning
1/4 tsp. pepper
Dash of cayenne powder (or more, depending on how much heat you like)
Salt, to taste
2 cups chicken broth

Heat oil in pan over medium heat. Add flour and whisk constantly for 1-2 minutes until lightly browned. Add spices and mix well. Slowly mix in chicken stock and reduce temperature to low. Stir occasionally and allow to simmer for 15 minutes (mixture will reduce and thicken over time).

That's it!

I filled whole wheat tortillas with a seasoned beef and black bean mixture, rolled them up, placed in an oiled pan, and smothered them with enchilada sauce and cheese. 40 minutes in the oven and dinner is served.  Simple, easy and filling meal.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome! I'm always looking for recipes to create my own sauces. I can do pasta sauce, but I'm working my way up to fancier sauces. I'll be trying this one soon. - Subbing chicken broth for veggie broth though. ;) I'm super hungry and we are always cooking Mexican-themed meals at my place.

    ReplyDelete