Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Happy Hummus: Healthy Snack Favorite!

I’m a sucker for snack foods.  No matter how large of a lunch/dinner I have you can bet that within an hour or two I’ll be craving a snack.  I’m always on the lookout for new healthy foods to munch on so I don’t succumb to potato chips, cookies and other not-so-healthy foods.  For a long time we’ve been stocking up on hummus from the grocery store and spending way more than we should.  Finally, I decided to do a little research and partake making my own and boy, I’m sure glad I did! 
Hummus is super easy to make, affordable and chock full of fiber which keeps you full longer and great for keeping blood sugar levels from rising too fast (fabulous for diabetic, insulin resistant or hypoglycemic individuals).

Sun-Dried Tomato & Spinach Hummus:
Ingredients:
    • 1/4  cup  water
    • 3 tablespoons  chopped oil-packed or vacuum packed sun-dried tomatoes
    • 2 tablespoons EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)
    • 1/2  teaspoon  salt
    • 1/4  teaspoon  freshly ground black pepper
    • 1 heaping tablespoon minced garlic
    • 1  (15-ounce) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained
    • 1 large handful of fresh spinach leaves
    • 1 tablespoon fresh parsley (optional)
Mix all ingredients into food processor and puree until smooth.  If it doesn’t seem to mix well add a bit more water/oil and it should start to mix a bit better.  I like to dice the veggies beforehand to ease the work on the food processor.  This is excellent served with pita chips, tortilla chips and veggies (carrots, celery, peppers).
IMG_1952
IMG_1954IMG_1955IMG_1960
IMG_1961
IMG_1968
Nom, Nom, Nom! Yummy Goodness!
Have you ever made your own hummus?  What’s your favorite healthy snack? 

5 comments:

  1. i make sweet potato hummus and it's super good!! one of my fav snacks is roasted chickpeas...yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been making hummus since I was old enough to use the food processor. My family is middle eastern, so I've also been eating it since before it was "trendy" and it really is one of the best snack foods!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tried to make hummus and it was an epic fail! I am not sure where I went wrong, but I am going to use your recipe next time :)

    ReplyDelete